The Modern Foreign Language (MFL) rooms are brand new and fully equipped for innovative classroom work; with each room having an interactive whiteboard, projection and ICT facilities, allowing teachers to provide a full multimedia experience for students.
Spanish provision has been extended across the MFL curriculum. Staff able to teach Spanish include:
Mrs L Bennett
Mrs R Dain
Mrs H Millar-Facey
Mrs R Wales
Ms O Flower
Modern foreign languages are an important part of the KS3 curriculum because not only do they develop key employment skills such as communication, problem solving and attention to detail, they also contribute to other important skills such as working with others, improving own learning, plus numeracy and literacy across the curriculum. Studying a foreign language therefore specifically supports English by teaching things such as grammar and sentence construction and covers the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
All students study a modern foreign language at KS3. Most students study two languages in Years 7 to 9 and students will normally have three lessons per fortnight for each language. This academic year, students in Years 8 and 9 will follow the same curriculum topics because they began learning Spanish at the same time and need to cover the same structures to enable successful learning at KS4.
Course content for KS3 Spanish includes:
Opinions / Teenage Life
All students are given the opportunity to study a modern foreign language at KS4. Spanish is offered as part of this provision and can count as part of the English Baccalaureate qualification. GCSE Spanish is currently being delivered in Years 10 and 11. The KS4 GCSE Spanish qualification follows the AQA examination board specification for this academic year. Students are able to sit foundation or higher tier examinations in this subject.
Course content for GCSE Spanish includes the following topics:
Students are assessed in the four key skill areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing. Speaking and writing are submitted in the form of controlled assessments which make up 60% of the final mark and are a compulsory part of their French GCSE course at KS4. The two remaining skills, listening and reading, worth 40% of the final grade, will be assessed separately at the end of Year 11 as a final examination.
Students who complete their Spanish GCSE to a grade B or above are advised that they should consider studying Spanish at A Level. The KS5 A level Spanish qualification follows the AQA examination board specification for this academic year.
Course content for AS/A2 Level Spanish (Years 12/13) includes the following topics:
Students will be expected to take a speaking examination, which will be recorded by the teacher and sent off to the examination board plus a final examination covering the other three skills of listening, reading and writing. The speaking examination is worth 30% of the total AS examination in Year 12 and contributes 15% towards the full A Level at the end of Year 13. The understanding and written response examination is worth 70% of the total AS examination in Year 12 and contributes 35% towards the full A Level at the end of Year 13.
Students will be expected to take a speaking examination, which will be recorded by the teacher and sent off to the examination board and a final written paper covering the skills of listening, reading and writing. The speaking examination is worth 15% of the full A Level at the end of Year 13. The listening, reading and writing examination is worth 35% of the full A Level at the end of Year 13.
Image from the Languages Wall
La Sagrada Familia, designed by Gaudi