Wellington beat Bishops in Football Final

Match Report:

Wellington Academy vs Bishops Wordsworth
Schools Cup Final

'The game was hosted by Trafalgar School. It was a very even opening start to the game with both teams having chances at either end with the game being very scrappy on an uneven surface. The first major chance of the game fell to Wellington Academy with Owen L. chipping a through ball to Jack C. who slotted past the Bishops goalkeeper. Bishops then had a chance of their own only to be denied by Kier L. goal line clearance at the expense of a corner. The second goal for Wellington Academy came in lucky circumstances as a back pass by a Bishops defender to the goalkeeper forced the goalkeeper into a mistimed clearance which bobbled up and span past him. The remainder of the halve remained very even with both sides having half chances and Bishops striker causing the Wellington defence a constant problem. However, goalkeeper James S. made some assured catches from crosses and set pieces and the strong tackling and bravery of Kier L., Warren V., Dwayne and Leo D. enabled Wellington to see the half out and go in 2-0 up at the interval.'

'Bishops were again delayed shortly after the restart by another goal line clearance from Tyla S. after James S. had reacted well to save at point blank range with the follow up also striking the crossbar. Wellington were a constant threat going forward with ball player Owen L. and the hardworking Jayden J. and Jack C. and tricky wide player Reece D. However, Bishops would get the equaliser with around 15 minutes to go when a through ball was well received by the Bishops wide player and he managed to fire in from a wide angle and beat James S. at the near post. Several half chances fell to both sides for the remainder of the game until 5 minutes from time Jack C.'s lofted pass into the path of Owen L. allowed Owen to slide the ball underneath the onrushing goalkeeper and give Wellington one hand on the trophy. Ellie May L., Harry W. and Alfie P. all played there part in winning the game in the dying minutes as Wellington took a defensive stance and played for the corner to grind out the final minutes of the game. Final Score: Wellington Academy 3: Bishops 2. Overall it was a close contest, which was won by Wellington's hard work, pressuring the ball and ability to take their chances but also defend resolutely from front to back with all 13 players playing their part, however Bishops had their chances and the game was won by a narrow margin which caps off a brilliant first campaign for the Year 7 Football Team in the first year at TWA. On to next year!'

Mr Tewkesbury